This week I Skyped it up with Dave Edwards for the latest episode of Fire On Your Head.
We began our conversation with absolutely nothing planned, and it turned out to be a longer discussion than normal. Whether that’s a good thing or not, we’ll let you be the judge.
We begin with asking Dave about what’s new with him, and prophetic expectation for 2015. He tells us the key to revival is not “waiting for a surprise”, but positioning ourselves to be ready and “going for it”.
I gave Dave four different topics to discuss, and the first one he picked was the 50 Shades of Grey phenomenon. We camped here for the next 30 minutes, using it as a spring board to discuss personal holiness and whether Christians need to be careful of what we watch.
Notes from the segment where we discussed guarding our purity:
- Preachers and bloggers for the most part are going after low hanging fruit by fixating so much on 50 Shades of Grey. So of course we have to as well.
- Impurity creates an “impure triune connection”. Sex is meant to be an experience between a man and wife that is body, soul and spirit. Other deviations are cheap substitutes.
- “Submission to one another” in the Scriptures is NOT what some people think it means!
- We are temples of the Holy Spirit. He is there with us with whatever we do and whatever we watch. Can we then do some things if we realize this?
- For our Christian friends who have read these books or watched this movie we have a question: why?
- How does “all things are permissible but not all things are beneficial” to me apply to a sexually graphic book/movie? Is this really just a matter of “personal convictions” or is there a universal standard all Christians can and should adhere to with movies and books? (I know, like duh).
- When the adulterous woman was thrown at Jesus feet by her accusers, expecting Him to stone her, He told her He doesn’t condemn her and to go and sin no more.
- As a people who are mandated to protect our purity, it becomes clear we need to guard ourselves from the things that would influence us towards spiritual contamination (See my post Discipline is Not Legalistic) When we eat certain junk foods, our bodies become accustomed to them, and when the healthy food is introduced into our system, our body can have an uncomfortable and unwelcome initial response, even though this is healthier food — the reverse is also true; if we eat healthy then junk is repulsive to us.
- Is the well you’re drinking from giving you pure water?
- If you knew the food you ate was 99% pure but had 1% fecal matter in it, would you still eat it? Why do many Christians care more for their physical diets and the food they eat than they do their spiritual diets?
- Link: The Real Abuse at the Heart of Fifty Shades of Grey (Relevant Magazine)
Then we transitioned into discussing the 40th anniversary of Saturday Night Live for a little bit and the pattern/template this entertainment institution has given us for multiple generations, and then discussed the Middle East conflict surrounding ISIS with relation to what role is the Church meant to play, and are doing doing it?
Notes from our segment discussing #SNL40:
- What can the Church learn about different generations working together from looking at an entertainment institution like Saturday Night Live?
- We can see heaven’s creativity in unlikely sources, and we get a glimpse of this culture through a TV show.
- SNL has been a type of mission sending agency, raising entertainers up, and then sending them out into TV and movies and impacting the culture — in a way this is apostolic, as Jesus sent his disicple-apostles out to bring the Kingdom of Heaven to the earth and change culture
- This is a show that has impacted culture, and left a legacy, and whether it was the original intention or not, has wound up looking ahead
- If this show never existed, just how drastically different would our culture be?
Notes from our segment on ISIS:
- What kind of ministries could have been in the Middle East that could be impacting that area today if a rapture-minded church didn’t prevent the church from bringing heaven to earth, and not going into retreat mode?
- We explore and discuss just what our current generation could have looked like had some popular rapture teachings had not been introduced and impacted The Church for the worse
- Old covenant vs new covenant world views are discussed.
Expect revival! Expect God to actually do what he said he would do!
Click here if you’d like to know how to subscribe to our podcast.
Books Mentioned or Recommended in Today’s Episode:
And don’t forget to check out The Passion Translation that Dave was raving about.
Before I let you go I need to ask you a quick favor. Please jump over to iTunes or Stitcher and give this show a rating, a review, or leave a comment or all three. It would mean a lot to me and help people find us!
Thank you so much, and I look forward to talking to you in the next episode of Fire On Your Head.
Blessings and fire on your head!